Skip to main content

Johan Bové

People Seem Confused about IndieAuth

When I first started in the IndieWeb community, IndieAuth confused me. It confused me up until I built an IndieAuth endpoint for WordPress. It may confuse you as well. And that has been a problem in its adoption. The biggest confusion seems to be conflating IndieAuth and IndieAuth.com. IndieAuth. indieweb, syndicated

Johan Bové

bookmarklet - IndieWeb

Added some examples to this wiki page

Johan Bové

Johan Bové

That Twitter admin hack shows how important it is to own our own online content and even our own platforms for posting on the Web. Want to learn more? Make yourself a cup of your favorite drink and have a look at https://indieweb.org/Getting_Started

Johan Bové

@jbaert Ben een fan. Kende je het Indieweb eigenlijk al? Een intro: https://indiewebify.me/

Johan Bové

@MrChuckD Thank you for adding good reasons to join the movement: https://indieweb.org/

Johan Bové

Indigenous for iOS, IndieWeb and ActivityPub for Drupal

I'm glad to announce that I've been awarded a grant as part of the European Next Generation Internet initiative (NGI) by the Dutch NLnet Foundation to work on my (currently) favorite projects: Indigenous and IndieWeb1.

Johan Bové

Gimme A Token "client mismatch" in Known

Figuring out why Gimme A Token is not working for my Known instance

2 min read

Trying to obtain an Access Token for IndiePub with IndieAuth to be used in IFTTT requests so I can link other Web Services with my site.

I was able before to get a token using https://gimme-a-token.5eb.nl/, and the integration with Pocket, Deezer and others worked, but I revoked all access tokens and today it no longer works to create a new token on my Known instance running version 1.2.2.

This post is about trying to solve this issue.

Got the endpoints of my server using:
https://indieweb-endpoints.cc/search?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsocial.johanbove.info

After entering all the fields in "Gimme A Token" and going through the process to get the access token, I end up on https://social.johanbove.info/indieauth/token with the message "Client mismatch". And I'm not sure where to go next.

What is causing this "client mismatch"? Did Known get safer or is "gimme-a-token" broken?

Going to reach out to Seb and Marcus in the next days.

Found that Greg had a similar issue with Monocle some months ago: https://gist.github.com/jgmac1106/3d4df34f99f9a2bd34d47262f26bf508

Update 2020-06-29 19:00

So I can rule out that "Gimme-A-Token" is broken.

Thanks to the greate people on the IRC channel (thanks Aaron, Greg and sknebel) I have a pointer towards htaccess and http/https redirecting. Looking into that now.

Update 2020-06-29 23:20

It seems that for a correct IndieAuth authentication, I had to add a hard-coded "me" url in the head of the Known head.tpl.php file so the Known homepage would always have this link:

<!-- Hardcoded me url -->
<link href="https://social.johanbove.info" rel="me" class="u-url">

This resolved the https://monocle.p3k.io site error message and I can log in in one flow without having to retry.

But unfortunately I'm still getting "Client mismatch" errors with "Gimme a token" most of the time. I did manage to get once an actual token which I can now use again for IFTTT PESOS syndication.

Johan Bové

Camp West is ongoing this weekend: https://indieweb.org/2020/West
Schedule with presentations: https://indieweb.org/2020/West/Schedule

Johan Bové